To retrieve a lost PIN number contact DCJIS at (617) 660-4722 during normal business hours 8:00am - 6:00pm Monday - Friday.
Need an LTC / FID license or need to renew one?
Police Department Office Hours: Thursdays from 4:00pm - 6:00pm
Other times available by appointment. (Temporary Covid-19 Restrictions: Please mail applications and fee to the Police Station, appointments will be made for new applicants to get fingerprinted)
What you will need to bring with you when applying:
- Massachusetts Driver's License
- Your old LTC/FID If Renewal
- Copy of Approved Firearms Safety Course Certificate If New Applicant
- Parental Consent Form If Under 18
- Application Fees
- LTC/FID $100.00
- Free Renewal for Persons Over 70 Years of Age
- $25.00 for First Time Chemical Spray Permit or Under 18 Applicant
Police Department will take photographs and fingerprints.
It is not necessary but if you would like to fill out application prior, click on FID Card / License to Cary Application Form below.
Forms and Links
- New Firearms Transaction (E-FA-10) Portal effective March 15, 2015
- Key Firearms Law Changes - August 2014
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Approved Firearms Safety Locking Devices
- Approved Firearms Roster
- Large Capacity Weapons Roster
- Firearms ID Card Parental Consent Form
- FID Card / License to Carry Application Form
- Change of Address Form
The Whately Police Department offers the approved 6 hour LTC-001 Massachusetts Police Chiefs of Police Association Basic Firearms Safety Course free of charge for Whately residents ages 14 and up. Upon successful completion, this course allows you to apply for an LTC Class A for handguns, FID Class C for rifles and shotguns. This course does not include any live fire exercises.
For more information, or if you would like to sign up for this course please click here to contact Chief James A. Sevigne Jr. by email.
If you are seeking your firearms permit in order to hunt in Massachusetts for the first time, please click here to visit the Mass Wildlife Hunter Education website.